• Town Council Governance

Bovey Tracey Town Council operates within powers and duties set out by legislation. Contact the Town Clerk if there is any further information you feel should be available.

Supporting Services to Bovey Tracey

Teignbridge District Council spans an area bounded by Dawlish and Teignmouth in the south, Buckfastleigh in the west, Chudleigh in the east and Moretonhampstead in the north. The main services Teignbridge District Council are responsible for include:

  • Environmental health
  • Council tax collection
  • Domestic refuse collection and recycling
  • Street and toilet cleaning
  • Planning
  • Car parks

The 3 District Councillors representing the residents of Bovey Tracey and Heathfield on Teignbridge District Council from a total of 48 members are:

  • Cllr Sally Morgan 07811825707
  • Cllr Avril Kerswell 01626 832923
  • Cllr George Gribble 01626 832764

Devon County Council (DCC)covers the whole of Devon except for Plymouth and Torbay, which have 'unitary' council status and is responsible for both District and County functions. DCC has 62 County Councillors in total, of which the parish of Bovey Tracey and Heathfield has one representative, County Councillor George Gribble (01626 832764). Devon County Council's main responsibilities include:

  • Education
  • Libraries
  • Social services
  • Highways
  • Waste disposal
  • Fire service


The government has published 'The Code of Recommended Practice for Local Authorities on Data Transparency' which requires parish councils which have a gross annual income or expenditure (whichever is the higher) of at least £200,000 to publish 'Public Data'.

The Government has implemented this Code of Practice for local authorities to provide greater transparency of public bodies, which is at the heart of their mandate to enable greater democratic accountability over how council tax and public money is spent. However, Public Data does not include personal information as this would contravene the Data Protection Act 1998. In accordance with the Code of Recommended Practice, Bovey Tracey Town Council makes the following information available:

Expenditure over £500

Our Schedule of Payments are approved at each meeting of the Council and therefore form part of the Minutes of that meeting. Should you wish to examine these payments please look at the Minutes page for Full Council.

Senior Employees

The Town Council is required to publish details of any senior employees (including job descriptions, responsibilities, budgets, and number of staff) earning over £50,000 per annum.

Bovey Tracey Town Council has no employees earning in excess of this sum.

Staff Structure and Current Vacancies

Bovey Tracey Town Council currently employs 4 members of staff headed up by the Town Clerk & Responsible Financial Officer. An organisational chart of the staff structure including Salary bands can be viewed here.

There are currently no vacancies.

Members Allowances and Expenses

The Town Mayor receives an annual allowance of £500 to enable him to undertake his duties during his time in office. Payments for this are shown in the schedule of payments identified above.

Contracts and Tenders to businesses and voluntary, community, and social enterprise sector

A copy of any such contract or tender will appear in our news section and can be viewed via this link here.

Grants to the Voluntary, Community, and Social Enterprise Sector

The Town Council sets aside a budget each year to support local organisations. All payments (which include grants) can be seen here within the Minutes of the Full Council meetings.

The Location of Public Land and Buildings

Asset Register to see a list of buildings and public land under the control of Bovey Tracey Town Council.

Constitution: Running of the Town Council

The constitution of the Town Council is known as Standing Orders and lays out how the business of the Council is conducted. A copy of Standing Orders can be viewed here.

The decisions of the Town Council are recorded in the minutes of meetings which can be viewed here.

Click here to find out who the local Councillors are. Councillors normally serve a four year term. The next elections will take place in May 2015.

For more information about the Code of Recommended Practice for Local Authorities on Data Transparency please visit www.ico.org.uk

Annual Fraud Assessment

The Risk Assessment of Financial and Non Financial Internal Controls (available here) is designed to ensure the Town Council meets its requriements to:

  • Maintain an adequate system of internal control including measures to prevent and detect fraud and corruption and to review its effectiveness
  • Assure members there are no matters of actual or potential non compliance with laws, regulations and codes of practice which could have a significant financial effect on the ability of the Council to conduct its business or on its finances
  • Carry out an assessment of risks facing the Council and demonstrate how these are managed
  • Maintain an adequate and effective system of internal audit of the Council’s accounting records and control systems and review their effectiveness

Annual Pay Multiple

The Pay multiple (defined as the ratio between the highest taxable earnings for the year and the median earnings figure of all staff) is: 1:2.24


The Localism Act 2011 requires councils to adopt a Code of Conduct that sets out the rules governing the behaviour and registration of interests of councillors when acting in their official capacity. A copy of the Bovey Tracey Town Council Code of Conduct for Members and Code of Conduct Complaint form can be downloaded from this page.

On 25th June 2012 Bovey Tracey Town Council adopted a Code of Conduct (reviewed and re-adopted 18th September 2017), as required following the abolition of the old standards regime. The Code requires Councillors to have a duty to promote and maintain high standards of conduct and to act in accordance with the principles of public life, namely, selflessness, honesty, objectivity, accountability, openness, personal judgement, respect for others, duty to uphold the law, stewardship and leadership.

All Councillors are then required to register any interests they hold and all Town Councillors have completed the relevant paperwork, which is published on Teignbridge District Council’s website. Please click on the following link to view Councillors Register of Members Interest.  Bovey Tracey Town Council’s Code of Conduct can be accessed here.

How to complain

From 1st July 2012 the District Council was required by the Localism Act 2011 to have in place Arrangements for dealing with allegations that councillors and co-opted members had failed to comply with the Code of Conduct and also to investigate and determine those allegations. All complaints must be made in writing.

The District Council's arrangements cover Teignbridge councillors, councillors from the parish and town councils within Teignbridge and co-opted members of those councils. The relevant Code of Conduct and registers of interests can be found via links within this page.

If you wish to submit a complaint about the conduct of a councillor, please use the Code of Conduct complaint form below. Please note that the Council's Arrangements can only deal with complaints about the alleged conduct of councillors and co-opted members. It will not deal with any complaints about any of the District Council's officers or council policy, a Parish or Town Clerk, or other matters not covered by the Members' Code of Conduct. Further information on the complaints process is provided at the bottom of the Complaint form.

Code of Conduct Complaint Form

Address for submission of a written complaint:

The Monitoring Officer,
Teignbridge District Council,
Forde House,
Brunel Road,
Newton Abbot,
Devon TQ12 4XX

Tel: 01626 215113
Email: monitoringofficer@teignbridge.gov.uk


  1. Councillors are covered by Code of Conduct, which was adopted by Bovey Tracey Town Council on 25th June 2012
  2. Complaints against policy decisions made by the Council shall be referred back to Council [but note paragraph 36 of the Council's Standing Orders which says that issues shall not be re-opened for six months]. 
  3. If a complaint about procedures or administration as practised by the Council's employees is notified orally to a Councillor or the Clerk to the Council, they should seek to satisfy the complaint fully. If that fails, the complainant should be asked to put the complaint in writing to the Clerk to the Council and be assured that it will be dealt with promptly after receipt. 
  4. If the complainant prefers not to put the complaint to the Clerk to the Council he or she should be advised to put it to the Chairman of Council/Mayor.
    1. On receipt of a written complaint the Chairman of Council/Mayor or the Clerk to the Council (except where the complainant is about his or her own actions), shall try to settle the complaint directly with the complainant. This shall not be done without first notifying the person complained against and giving him or her an opportunity to comment. Efforts should be made to attempt to settle the complaint at this stage.
    2. Where the Clerk to the Council or the Chairman of Council/Mayor receives a written complaint about the Clerk to the Council's own actions, he or she shall refer the complaint to the Chairman of Council/Mayor. The Clerk to the Council shall be notified and given an opportunity to comment.
  5. The Clerk to the Council or Chairman of Council/Mayor shall report to the next meeting of the Council any written complaint disposed of by direct action with the complainant. 
  6. The Clerk to the Council or Chairman of Council/Mayor shall bring any written complaint that has not been settled to the next meeting of the Council. The Clerk to the Council shall notify the complainant of the date on which the complaint will be considered and the complainant shall be offered an opportunity to explain the complaint orally. (Unless such a matter may be related to Grievance, Disciplinary or Standard Board proceedings that are taking, or likely to take place when such a hearing may prejudice those hearings when the complaint will have to be heard under Exempt Business to exclude any member of the public or the press, or deferred on appropriate advice received). 
  7. The Council shall consider whether the circumstances attending any complaint warrant the matter being discussed in the absence of the press and public but any decision on a complaint shall be announced at the Council meeting in public. 
  8. As soon as may be after the decision has been made it and the nature of any action to be taken shall be communicated in writing to the complainant. 
  9. A Council shall defer dealing with any written complaint only if it is of the opinion that issues of law or practice arise on which advice is necessary. The complaint shall be dealt with at the next meeting after the advice has been received. If a complaint regarding any action of an organisation or club using any of Bovey Tracey Town Council's land is notified orally to a Councillor or the Clerk to the Council, the complainant should be asked to put the complaint in writing to the Clerk to the Council and be assured it will be dealt with promptly after receipt. Upon receipt of the written complaint, the Clerk to the Council shall refer the complaint to the Chairman of the organisation or club concerned, who will be requested to investigate the complaint and provide a written report.


Bovey Tracey Town Council's Treasury & Investment Policy and its associated strategy are conducted in accordance with:

i) The Local Government Act 2003 (the Act) and supporting regulations

ii) The Government and Accountability in Egland and Wales, A Practitioners Guide.

iii) The statutory guidance on local government investments (issued subsequent to the Act) which requires the production of an Annual Investment Strategy and gives guidance on how this should be completed.